Jan 25, 2009

Spring Cleaning

Spring cleaned my bookshelf yesterday. It was quite an experience.

Though it was just a bookshelf (and not a very big one), I threw away bags and bags of stuff. The act of discarding them seemed like a final act of letting go, whether it's letting go of the past achievements/interests, or past relationships. I cut myself a couple of times in the process, but that's what it is all about, isn't it? A little pain may be involved in letting go, but there's will no longer be any blood involved. It was quite a peaceful, yet it involved reminiscences. This was Me and what I was involved in.

The process also allowed me to discover many things that were hiding in the corners, behind what was important to me but now discarded. One very important discovery was a book titled "Experiences with God". I remember the book, but I have no idea who gave it to me. The discovery of this book was accompanied by a revelation. This book was blocked from view by stuff of past interest. It seemed to me that, some stuff that was once central to my life had resulted in my faith taking backseat then. Just like the book, God was left in a corner collecting dust. I felt a sense of guilt, and yet gratitude, because though God was in the backseat, He was always there, waiting. Now this book lies on my table together with the bible and my FYP stuff.

I also had the chance to flip through the few photo albums I have. One of the albums contained my last days in Pre-U. Pictures of the few friends I had. Though we no longer kept in touch, I felt no sadness as I browsed through the photos. Instead, I felt joy and gratitude, for I once had these good friends. It's just now, we are walking different paths, and drift is natural. No remorse for what is not, but joy for what was and had.

For the first time after so many years, my bookshelf is cleared. All of a sudden, it is very empty and I have storage space for many things to come. Just like my bookshelf, we should do spring cleaning of our life every now and then. We need to reexamine what's really important but has taken a backseat, what is already the past and we need to let go, rearrange and reorganize the positions of some stuff etc. Only then can we have space for the future, be ready for new things and joys.

Really like the look of my bookshelf now. Now, it contains my Psychology books and files, some Christian books, the few albums of my friends and family and my past trophies. It felt like it reflects my life now, no longer as cluttered as the past, but focused on the few that's really important to me - Psychology, God, family and friends. Lots of space reserved for what's to come.

Looking at my "new" bookshelf, I claim "Purpose and Growth" in this new year of 2009 and ox, just as A claim "Joy" and my aunt claim "Consistency". I am all ready for the coming challenges and changes He will show me as I pursue & fulfill my Purpose.



No comments: