Mar 4, 2010

Subtle sense of entitlement

Our society today has so much emphasis on rights that it's creating so much bitterness, unhappiness, rivalry, unforgiveness etc. Most of the time, we feel bitter because something we feel entitled to have not been given to us. It ranges from the obvious stuff like time, pay, rewards, respect to less obvious stuff like attention, courtesy, or even understanding/empathy. I'm not saying that we are wrong to feel entitled to certain stuff. Certainly if one works, one is entitled to a salary. But the danger lies in the unconscious sense of entitlement in the little things, most of the time in the realm of social relationships, which naturally result in self's unhappiness and broken relationships.

Take a social situation of joining a new group. Change is not easy. Joining a new group of people is not easy. At times the initial transition phase can lead to a sense of loneliness, and worse, a sense of abandonment. But maybe there are hidden sense of entitlements that is within me that is actually making the transition harder than it actually is. Feeling entitled to being attended to during the transition, to not being ignored or being noticed, to being reached out to and nursed into the group etc. Definitely these are no conscious thoughts, and often we can only feel their effects on our emotions, in terms of aloneness or not fitting in. Unattended to, they may just down-spiral into sense of self-pity and withdrawal. Woe to me then. Perhaps it is true, but perhaps my pride & 'entitlements' are actually blinding me to the truth. Does it matter? Because ultimately it's the self who suffers the most. Unnatural yes, but it's easier on the emotions if we have no expectations on anybody or any social situations. Only then will I be sensitive to any nice things that come, and be absolutely grateful because I will be able to count them as blessings. How joyous for me will it be then.

In dedicating my self to Christ, I should not be entitled to anything. Not my time, my career, my energy. Most people will take it as something painful, miserable because it is a sacrifice. However, ridding myself of a sense of entitlement will bring about joy, not just to other people but also to myself. And I am able to do that because I trust that God is good and He loves me. It's like having a very loving parent whom you just believe in totally, and you can happily and without much care depend on him/her because you trust that this parent will do everything that is best for you. It makes life much simpler and much happier. Fighting for your rights end up only hurting you, not the other party. Is it worth it?

Trade pride for joy. Doesn't sound like a bad bargain.


Heavenly Father, I'm sorry that I have harbored pride in my heart.
This sense of entitlement from other people, which have thus caused me so much misery.
I repent, Lord. And I dedicate my life to You again.
Let me be satisfied fully in Your grace, goodness and love, and not dependent on anything from man.
Let me not feel entitled to anything, so everything to me will be a blessing and a joy.
I'm just here to serve, and all things given are by Your grace.
In Jesus's faithful name, Amen.





No comments: