Often when we Christians talk about holiness, our talk is accompanied
by one of two problematic responses. The first mistake many of us make
is to resign ourselves to failure. “I can never do this! I can never be
good enough, so I might as well not try.” This kind of resignation can
lead us to rampant sin and lawlessness. (Bill Crowder tackled this in
his blogs on license a few days ago.) But the second mistake is equally
as horrifying. It is the idea that I can somehow earn God’s approval if I
am good enough. This approach to holiness is called legalism (see Bill
Crowder’s blogs on March 7 & 9).
The problem with lawlessness and legalism is that they both miss the
point of what it means to be holy. Being holy, as we discovered last
time, does not mean that we become different in kind from others who are more or less pious than we are. It means that God has and is setting us apart for His service.
Here is a revolutionary thought: Those people who seek to be holy
(like the Sabbath or the ground on which Moses stood as he watched the
bush burn without being consumed) are not different from other people. They have simply chosen to be transformed and set apart for a purpose—consecrated to God.
While it is true that God is infinitely greater than we are, it is
not true that He is unknowable. He is other from us, but He is not so
completely other that we have no connection with Him. The sin of
lawlessness is to see God as aloof and unconcerned, while the sin of
legalism brings God down to our level.
The person who is truly seeking holiness knows that being consecrated
unto God has much more to do with Him than it does with what we do for
Him.
- RBC
No comments:
Post a Comment