Been wanting to blog about this for ages.....
At the end of the movie, The Dark Knight (Batman2), Batman sacrificed his reputation, image & freedom of movement for the city. He continues to help the citizens, at no price. Not even asking for recognition or appreciation. He just does what is right.
This brings me back to something mentioned in Sun Tzu's Art of War. The true strategist is often the unknown. Nobody will applause him for his wits, his strategic achievements, his brilliance. Why? Because it will seem that all the battles he fought are all easy battles, a sure win. No chance for heroic show-offs. Thus, a truly good strategist has to be one who does not carve for reputation, rewards or appreciation. In fact, sometimes, people may even jeer him for cowardice, for always fighting the easy battles.
Back to reality. How many of us can truly put in our heart and soul for somebody else without asking for appreciation, or even to let somebody else take the credit for the good of the whole? You probably won't ask for it consciously. But when the days go bad, the thoughts will come - "I did so much for him/her/them/it, just that they do not know, and I still have to take this nonsense.", or "It's just that you do not know, but I did those works. I just let him have the credit."
I think it takes a really confident and high esteem individual to reach the level of Batman or the true strategist Sun Tzu talked about - the ultimate level of humility. It's a level I wanna work towards, but not sure if I'll ever reach. Till date, I'm don't think I've met a person who is truly at that level. But then, they're hard to notice because of their outward insignificance.
No comments:
Post a Comment