Aug 5, 2008

Youth

Was rewatching a Cantonese serial, and there was one message that was often repeated by the lead actor.

Know what's the thing about being young and youthful? It's being daring to try, to be adventurous, to dare to venture and fall. At least years down the road, there's no regrets. To be able to stand up tall and say, "I was foolish once. I was silly once. I was crazy once. I've failed numerous times, but at least I've tried. I've experimented. I've experienced."

Was telling M last night... Chance of succeeding at first attempt is real slim, but I'm still gonna try. At least even if I failed, I know at least I tried. I don't want to live with the regret, "what if I had tried?" So if I fail the first time, I'll try a second time.

One very important thing people should learn (and I'm still learning) is to let go. Let go of failures, and move on. With this, it's lots easier to let go of a failed attempt than an unknown. Having not tried means having to live with an unknown, having to live with the message: "what if I've tried?"

So, youth is not determined by age, but by the courage to try, the courage to fail. At least there's an attempt. I don't wanna go back to my former mentality: "What's the point of trying? Sure fail one." Sure fail, but at least I tried. At least it's circumstances that determined my failure, and not my mind.

No comments: