Oct 10, 2009

Introvert's excuses

Really gets me irritated when people starts to use personality as an excuse for things that are determined by choices. I'm not saying that personality isn't a factor, but human will is more often the determinant, because it is God's gift to us.

The most misunderstood (and used as excuse) is the trait of extraversion, or what most people known as extrovert/introvert. So often I hear people saying, "oh I can't do this because I'm not extrovert", "I'm an introvert, I can't survive in such a system", "I'm an introvert, so I can't speak up in class, so it's not my fault"... You name it, I've heard it.

Extraversion merely refers to whether you are one who prefer to be alone or prefer to be with other people & meeting new people. It has NOTHING to do with out-goingness or ability to speak up etc. All the latter are personal choices. Introvert is one who needs time to be alone, because being with people saps energy. On the other hand, extrovert draws energy from being with people. They gets very lethargic being alone, but they get very charged up when they're around people, hence often they cannot stand being coped at home. And the trait of extraverison is on a continuum, not a dichotomy (i.e, it's not you're a in/extrovert or you are).

I'm quite an extreme introvert. Does that mean I cannot participate in public discussions, activities or be out-going? Nonsense. Those who know me well will say how 'out-going', 'aggressive', or 'high' I can get at times in social settings. But I need my alone time every night, else I won't be able to function as well the next day. Some have also heard me comment that I've been around people too often past few days, so getting very edgey and restless. Those are introvert traits. Introvert NOT equal to shy/not out-going. The latter is a choice, it's a matter of how much you want to conquer ur social anxiety/laziness/fear/excuse-making to get the necessary things done.

Stop using introvertness as an excuse. It's irritating.



No comments: