Sep 3, 2010

At the end, there's only Love

I have been mulling over how people can go to extremes just for money, when it becomes more important than conscience and peace till it simply takes over the person. I felt a tinge of incomprehensible because I am not motivated by it; at the end of the day, money accumulates till a threshold when it becomes real meaningless as it's just a nice looking number on your bank statement. Then I digressed to how people can also be motivated by power, status and influence. This I can comprehend better, but it also felt to me that it'll also get to a point where all these become meaningless. Worse, with status and influence comes reputation and awe from people, but it also comes with responsibilities and greater accountability. Even family can amount to little because if you truly love them, you cannot hold on to them because they need space to grow and become the persons they truly are, be it children or younger siblings. Even family is not something you can hold on to till the end. At this point I was starting to feel disillusioned. I wondered if finally I am growing up and becoming a part of the adult world, abandoning the idealistic child in me. Is it really all there is in the 'real' world - emptiness and working towards/for no meanings?

There was this sense of passivity and lack-of-drive. I'm not motivated by money. I'm not particularly competitive, and increasingly less so as time passes. There's no sense of ambition ever since I surrendered my ambition back to God. When I seriously think about these worldly things, their meaningless just became obvious. As I was dwelling on this little thought (and not exactly very happy about it), suddenly it just dawned on me that as you strip away all these, there's only 1 thing left at the core that remains standing... Love. The ultimate Love manifested in and by Christ. The love that God has for me and every single individual that is simply beyond words.

I was walking when this revelation came. I was so in awe that I nearly stopped in my tracks. I felt so humbled by His love. There's a sense of indescribable joy that just flowed from deep within. I came to really understand that if you truly know how much God loves, obedience and trust are very natural responses to Him. His yoke is light because all you do are just natural responses to His love. I came to really appreciate in my heart (not just understand in my mind) why Solomon can write what he wrote in Ecclesiastes. I came to also truly understand how Paul can count all things as loss compared to knowing Christ. In view of His love, all things become so trivial. It's like in the light of His greatness and majestic love for us, the diamond naturally pales and look just like what it is - a stone. At the end of the day, all that can withstand the test of time is really the ultimate Love.


Words amount to little without actual experience. Through my sharing, may God reveal to you too what I felt and partake with me in the awesome experience.


God loves each of us so much that all He asks is for you to believe that He exists, and He loves you so much that He has done everything in His capability for a reconciliation.

No comments: