Was watching Karate Kid and it reminds me of the many things that karate has taught me.
Never before I have pushed my physical body to its limits till I puke within 15 mins of training. But it also demonstrates to me what my physical body is actually capable of if I set my mind to it. Often we place limits on ourselves, thinking that's the max we can do; not knowing our real limits are actually much higher than what we think. To simply concentrate on doing needs to be done, and not how tired you are. To focus and just concentrate on getting through the next second, truly taking the mind off the self.
I tasted what raw, primitive fear feels like, when you're out there on the mat facing your opponent, and she is out to get you. But you face off your fear. Really scared, but you still stand there in the mat. It doesn't stop the fear, but it stops it from dictating what you do.
I tasted what true focus is like. The one and only time I really focused is when I was sparring with my friend for a referee course. The one and only time I was truly sparring with my whole concentration, when my body reacts faster than I think. Even my sensei was impressed that I was wholly into it. But that took many rounds for me to "get into the flow"... and trust. To be able to trust my friend and so it helps me to abandon my natural fear about being hurt. I was amazed what I can do, but I wonder if I can ever get into that state again. The true meaning of being still, which is different from doing nothing. Where the mind and heart is still and focused.
Definitely I learn pain, and continuing despite the pain. Blocking moves is actually a very painful thing, despite what you see on the shows. But to discipline yourself to move on despite the pain. I've seen a little boy sparring, tearing because of pain yet continuing. That 5 years old boy earned the respect of everybody that day.
These have actually helped in my own spiritual walk. I learn to be still. I learn obedience. I learn not to wallow in pain and self-pity. I learn to trust others when I am not able to trust myself. I learn to focus on what's important and not the self. I learn to refuse fear from dictating what I do. I learn to do despite what I feel because it is necessary. I learn not to trust what I think my limits are but to push on. I learn self-control and respect for others.
Never before I have pushed my physical body to its limits till I puke within 15 mins of training. But it also demonstrates to me what my physical body is actually capable of if I set my mind to it. Often we place limits on ourselves, thinking that's the max we can do; not knowing our real limits are actually much higher than what we think. To simply concentrate on doing needs to be done, and not how tired you are. To focus and just concentrate on getting through the next second, truly taking the mind off the self.
I tasted what raw, primitive fear feels like, when you're out there on the mat facing your opponent, and she is out to get you. But you face off your fear. Really scared, but you still stand there in the mat. It doesn't stop the fear, but it stops it from dictating what you do.
I tasted what true focus is like. The one and only time I really focused is when I was sparring with my friend for a referee course. The one and only time I was truly sparring with my whole concentration, when my body reacts faster than I think. Even my sensei was impressed that I was wholly into it. But that took many rounds for me to "get into the flow"... and trust. To be able to trust my friend and so it helps me to abandon my natural fear about being hurt. I was amazed what I can do, but I wonder if I can ever get into that state again. The true meaning of being still, which is different from doing nothing. Where the mind and heart is still and focused.
Definitely I learn pain, and continuing despite the pain. Blocking moves is actually a very painful thing, despite what you see on the shows. But to discipline yourself to move on despite the pain. I've seen a little boy sparring, tearing because of pain yet continuing. That 5 years old boy earned the respect of everybody that day.
These have actually helped in my own spiritual walk. I learn to be still. I learn obedience. I learn not to wallow in pain and self-pity. I learn to trust others when I am not able to trust myself. I learn to focus on what's important and not the self. I learn to refuse fear from dictating what I do. I learn to do despite what I feel because it is necessary. I learn not to trust what I think my limits are but to push on. I learn self-control and respect for others.
No comments:
Post a Comment