-----------------------------------------
I stood frozen. The warm summer wind had turned bitterly cold all of a sudden. I fought the scream that was building in me. Time had slowed to a crawl. Taking a deep breath and ignoring all the warnings my head was giving me, I took a step closer.
She looked twenty years of age. Her face looked so pale that it seemed as if all the blood in her were drained out. Her wide green eyes stared at me, sending shivers down my spine. I was thrown into confusion.
Now, what do I do? I asked myself. I knelt down, partly to take a closer look, but mainly because my legs had suddenly grown weak. Out of deep respect for the dead, I mustered all of my courage and hesitantly, I pushed her eyelids down.
Not knowing what to do, I said a short but sincere prayer, hoping that God would do the things I had not or could not do.
Very slowly, I stood up on my two feet again. My eyes could not leave her. She was about the same age as me, and yet, I was able to do so many simple things she no longer could. There were so many questions on my mind, like what had happened to her, who was her murderer, and many more.
Just as I was about to take my first step out of the forest, I felt this uncanny feeling that someone was behind me. So close to me that I could almost feel him breathing down my neck. Fear ran through my body. Little by little, I starting to turn my head.
Before my head was even half way through its journey, my world was thrown into darkness by a hard punch at its side. Game over, I thought to myself before I crumpled to the ground.
Published: 10-19-01
No comments:
Post a Comment