Feb 21, 2009

How my life was changed....

“Hi!” The girl said beside me. Although I was depressed, I felt mean not to return her
greeting, and so I smiled back to her. She was pretty, with her delicate face and sweet smile. She
was young too, about my age I guessed.

“I’m Debbie, turning fourteen this coming Tuesday. I accidently fell down the stairs and
broke my leg. See the crutch by my bedside? The doctor said I will have to use that to help me to
walk for at least two weeks.” The girl said cheerfully, hopping to start a conversation. I was too
depressed to talk but did not want to disappoint Debbie by ignoring her.

“Well, I’m Andrew, just passed by sixteenth birthday.” I said to her. Just as I finished
talking, a nurse came into our two-beds ward and pushed Debbie to have her check-up in a
wheelchair. She flashed her sweet little smile and waved to me, before disappearing round the
corner.

‘If she knew why I am here, for certain she would not talk to me, or even be near me.’ I
thought sadly to myself. I was suffering from clinical depression and landed in hospital because
of a suicide attempt. All my friends had left me, just when my parents were getting a divorce. I
had no mood to study, and so I was always absent from school, as a result, my results plunged.
My doctor, or rather a psychiatrist, came, asked me a few questions, gave me medication
and left. Sleep soon overtook me and I did not wake up till the next morning.

As soon as I opened my eyes, I saw Debbie eating her breakfast. She looked happy, and I
envied her for that. As I walked to the bathroom, Debbie smiled at me and waved. It was nice to
have someone in the same ward as me.

My mother came, when Debbie was having a walk in the garden with the nurse. My
mother did not look concerned or worried at all. Instead, she was angry, “When are you getting
discharged?! Nothing but trouble! They should have just ignored you and leave you to bleed to
death in the school toilet!” She stormed out of the ward.

‘Why do I have such a mother? Nobody cares, because I am just a nobody.’ I thought to
myself and burst into tears.

Hearing my muffled cries and seeing soaking wet pillow, Debbie just sat beside me on
my bed, not saying a word. I did not realise her presence till she gave me a hug. I tried to push her
away but she would not budge. Slowly, my rage and despair faded away.

“Thanks. Why do you help me?” I asked. Slowly, I told her my situation. Debbie did not
say anything during the fifteen minutes of my “speech” but nodded. When I had finished talking,
she gave me a hug again and whispered into my ears, “I already knew briefly how you ended
here, and I overheard the conversation with your mum. It does not matter what the world thinks,
but how you yourself think. I want to be your friend, not because I sympathise you, but because
of who you are.” Those were the best words I had ever heard, and they marked the beginning of a
beautiful friendship.

In the hospital, we talked and shared a lot of jokes. It was one of the happiest moments of
my life. My psychiatrist was very happy, seeing that I was happy again.

Debbie plead with her doctor to discharge her on the day I was discharged. Her doctor
was hesitant, but seeing her sweet smile, he could not bring himself to refuse her request.
After our discharge, we remained in touch through phone, and we had little “meetings”
every week. We chatted, laughed, played. It was never dull when I was with Debbie.

One Sunday, Debbie brought me to her church. That was the day I was introduced to
Christianity. After a talk with Debbie, I accepted Christ into my life. It was a decision I knew I
would never regret.

We continued our happy times together. We had bad times too, but we had always
overcome them. Whenever I was down, Debbie was always ready to give me a hug.

Happy times never last. Two years after our first meeting at the hospital, Debbie was
diagnosed with leukaemia. I was devastated and felt so hopeless. I dedicated all my time and
energy in the hospital.

Debbie was so frail and pale, but she never failed to welcome me with her sweet smile.
The torment lasted for more than two months and now, the cancer was at the last stage, ready to
take her life away at any minute.

At my last visit, I was sobbing by her bed, but she held my hand and spoke into my ears,
“don’t be sad. It was time for me to return to Christ. The angels are here. Andrew, promise me
that you will live your life to the fullest. I may die but I will live in your heart. One day, we will
meet again.” On her last word, she breathed her last, with her sweet smile forever on her face.
I would always remember her last words and she would live within me. She was the
person who changed me, and left to give her love to any person who needed it.


Published: 03-21-01

No comments: